Lugenda Wilderness Camp situated in the vast and explored 42 000 km², Lugenda Wildlife Reserve in the Niassa province of Northern Mozambique, amongst the Ngalongue Mountains (towering inselbergs or island mountains).
This vast wildlife reserve is starting to come into is own, it is not for Big Five enthusiasts but rather for those wanting a private untouched wildlife experience, willing to search for the game and have the opportunity to for a walking.
There are 370 bird species, including the rare Angola Pitta, Pel's Fishing Owl and a variety of raptors. There are recently discovered three endemic species the Niassa Wildebeest, Boehm's Zebra and Johnston's Impala. In addition to this elephant, Sable Antelope, Cape Buffalo, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest, eland, Cape Hunting Dog (African Wild Dog) and there is the opportunity to find some predators such as lion, leopard and Spotted Hyena. Most frequent sightings include kudu, bushbuck, impala, wildebeest, waterbuck, reedbuck and hippo.
The camp is on the eastern banks of the Lugenda River with only eight East African styled luxury tents no more than 40 metres from the waters edge, under the large wild fig tress which attract elephants in the early morning and afternoon. The tents are all en suite with Victorian styled deep bath tub, shower, ceiling fan and concrete screed floors to keep it cool and a private wooden viewing deck.
The main area is timber and thatch, a cosy central meeting area with sitting and dinning areas, a pool with sun loungers have views over the river. Your day generally starts with tea/coffee and a muffin before your early morning game drive or walk, breakfast and lunch back in camp in the main area. Gather again in the late afternoon for high tea on the deck before your afternoon activity and return in the evening to freshen up for dinner and an evening under the African sky.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours