Offbeat Meru Camp is one of our favourite camps. It is located on a river in a private wilderness – you are unlikely to see any other people – and has just six tents with everything you need to be comfortable in the bush. The camp provides really good guiding, personal attention, and a flexible schedule – at an attractive price.
Offbeat Meru Camp stands beside the Bisanadi River in an area of riverine forest. Three double and three twin tents provide spacious accommodation for a maximum of 12 guests. Tents are furnished with large iron beds and 24-hour solar lighting. The use of white bedspreads and curtains creates a cool and airy feeling. Each tent has a private bathroom en suite, with flush toilet and traditional bucket shower, and a shaded verandah area equipped with deckchairs for watching life on the river.
There is a spacious mess tent housing the bar and a lounge area furnished with comfortable sofas. At night, Tilly lamps provide the warm, nostalgic lighting. There is a lovely small swimming pool overlooking the river, a blissful game-viewing activity and a welcome treat in the dry heat of the Meru.
At Offbeat Meru, the shape of the day is tailored to suit guests’ wishes. Day and evening game drives, enhanced with a bush breakfast or sundowners, are the chief game activities. Guided walking safaris, accompanied by an armed ranger, are another option; but the sheer number of elephant and buffalo limits the opportunities for walking in the bush. This is an exceptional area for bird-watching. You can also go fly-fishing in one of the local rivers. Two of the Maasai guides are graduates of the Koiyaki Guide School.
Food freshly prepared and of a high standard. Hearty English breakfasts, with fresh, home-made bread, are served in the mess tent or as a dazzling bush breakfast towards the end of your morning game drive. Just a few hours later, lunch is served, a lighter meal in keeping with the heat. Sumptuous four-course dinners are hosted in the mess tent, around the campfire or around the pool.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours