Serian is set in a secluded valley and epitomises the pleasures of having your cake and eating it: unashamed luxury in a traditional tented camp, run by accomplished safari guide and naturalist, Alex Walker.
Serian's eight, stylish 30m2 ‘marquees’ overlook the waters of the Mara River.The furnishings evoke the safaris of a bygone era: the rich colours of eastern carpets on hardwood flooring and swathes of cotton setting off the colonial-style furniture and pale canvas walls. Each tent has a full en suite bathroom, with hand-carved stone bath with river view, and a large private verandah from which to enjoy private game-watching, as the animals come to the Mara River.
With just four tented suites set beside the Mara River in a private conservancy, Ngare Serian is yet more intimate. Access to this exclusive camp is by rope bridge, reinforcing the sense of isolation. Ngare Serian is perfect for people who value their privacy, or who want to share it with their families or close friends.
Your day is flexible, planned with your personal guide to suit your interests and your pace. With over 80 staff and a dedicated open-top safari vehicle, this is no idle boast: you can choose to stay out all day, with a bush breakfast and a picnic lunch, or go out for a sundowner followed by a night drive in the conservancy.
The greater Mara provides some of the best game-viewing in the world. Lion, leopard and cheetah are year-round residents, feeding off the large herds of plains game sustained by the savannah. Large herds of elephant and buffalo plough their ways to and from the rivers, and, with over 450 species, the Mara is a birding hotspot.
The Koiyaki/Lemek area is roughly the same size as the national reserve, to which it is adjacent, so you have unlimited access to a vast natural wildlife area, incredibly rich in wildlife (Koiyaki is one of the best places in Africa for watching lion.) – you can be in the thick of the action in the reserve, if you like, or watch the wildlife in tranquillity in the conservancy. Serian’s guides are experienced local specialists, skilled at approaching big game safely. Serian also arranges fly-camping and hot-air balloon safaris.
The cuisine is a fusion of Mediterranean and coastal cooking, with African flavours, seasonal fruits and local organic vegetables. In discussion with the chef, your meals are arranged to around your individual schedule and tastes. You can take meals in the thatched mess, in a private corner of camp, on your verandah, in the shade of a tree or under the stars. And you are welcome in the kitchen.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours