An eco-friendly luxury camp which fantastically captures the nostalgia of the 1920s explorer days, Karen Blixen Camp combines eco-responsibility with lavish comfort and luxury. Perched on the banks of the spectacular Mara River with the Mara Plains stretching out endlessly behind the camp, the tents and activities create an unbeatable authentic safari experience.
The 22 spacious luxury canvas tents are set on wooden platforms creating the perfect veranda to watch the animals, including zebra, hippo and elephant, congregating around the river from the comfort of your cosy armchair.
After your days on safari across the Mara North Conservancy, enjoy an outdoor shower underneath the blanket of stars before falling into your large plush bed mounted on opulent Persian rugs.
The lounge area is a smart yet cosy area filled with colonial style furniture, the ideal place to enjoy a before dinner drink and share your safari stories. Taking Karen Blixen’s, the Danish author of ‘Out of Africa’, passion for food the camp’s menu grabs inspiration from France, England, Italy and Denmark. However the ingredients are all locally sourced with meat from the ranches around Mount Kenya, fruit from the coastal areas and vegetables from the Kenyan highlands.
While the majority of your stay will be spent on game drives of the stunning Masai Mara, the camp offers a number of other responsible wildlife experiences. There are game walks for those who want to tackle the savannah on foot, nature walks for those keen to learn about the insects and birds of the land and a balloon safari with a champagne breakfast for the romantics.
To ensure they maintain their prestigious eco-friendly reputation, Karen Blixen Camp stays up-to-date to offer the highest standard of luxury eco-tourism. Their recent wave of refurbishments includes an over-haul of the solar system and a re-piping the water supply to improve water pressure throughout the camp. The camp’s proactive environmental responsibility also benefits the local community, opening the Karen Blixen Hospitality School and The Forestry school to offer professional and affordable education to the Maasai youth.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Responsible and eco friendly accomodation
- Big Five in the Masai Mara
- Relaxation onthe Kenya coast
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours