Lewa Wilderness Trails offers one of Kenya’s most established private safari experiences, with guests enjoying outstanding hospitality in this remarkable, less visited region, for over forty years.
Staying in one of the nine comfortable stone and thatch cottages at Lewa Wilderness Trails is like receiving a personal invitation to the Craig family home. Will and Emma Craig have been welcoming guests for three decades.
Sit by the fire in the cosy sitting room, help yourself to a drink or have an expertly-made dawa and share meals around a long table in the open-air dining room.
Activities & facilities
Activities are designed around personal interests and include day and night drives, bushwalks, horse riding and camel treks, lion-tracking and visiting prehistoric archaeological sites. Facilities include a refreshing salt-water pool, table tennis and a clay tennis court. Families particularly appreciate the easy-going ambience and array of activities.
Beyond the Balloon Safari
For the ultimate in romance and nostalgia, don a flying jacket, soft leather helmet and goggles and climb into a yellow open-cockpit biplane – the three-seater aircraft is a modern replica of a 1935 Waco biplane.
Consummate pilot Will Craig sits at the back, with two passengers side by side in the front cockpit. Then it’s up and away – flying over an untamed landscape with the wind in your face, Mount Kenya before you and music from Out of Africa in your ears. What an incredible way to relive the adventure of early aviation and experience the magnificent scenery!
Will’s yellow bi-plane operates from Lewa Wilderness, but can be chartered from any of the camps in Lewa. The flight cannot be pre- booked, so express your interest immediately on check-in.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours