Xigera Camp (pronounced ‘Keejera’) is the perfect antidote to the bustle of city life.
Situated in the heart of Botswana’s Okavango Delta, it offers one of the Delta’s few year-round deep-water safari experiences. Nothing could be more peaceful than exploring the waterways by mokoro or sitting by the open fire at night, listening to the rhythmic hum of fruit bats, crickets and frogs. There’s excitement too; on our most recent visit, a bachelor elephant had an early evening bath by the viewing deck, and at dusk, a magnificent Pel’s fishing owl arrived.
The camp has ten large tents raised off the ground on wooden decks, each with bathroom, flush toilet and both in-door and outdoor shower. The tents are built within a shady grove and all face eastward, overlooking a lagoon that attracts game, and are linked to the dining and lounge areas by raised walkways. One tent is further away from the main areas and particularly suitable for honeymoon couples.
We’ve found this to be one of Botswana’s friendliest camps, ideal for groups, couples or solo travellers.
Papyrus, water-lily fields and swamp vegetation attract an abundance of birdlife, especially water-dependent species. Everyone will appreciate the variety found around Xigera: Rufous-bellied herons, Wattled cranes, Purple gallinules, Pel’s fishing owls, Lesser jacanas, Moorhens, Lesser moorhens, Green-backed herons and African skimmers to name but some.
There’s big game too – pods of hippo live in the deeper channels and spotted hyenas, lions, and leopards can be seen crossing the camp bridge at night. On game drives, you often see elephants and red lechwe; and mokoro excursions offer the opportunity to spot the elusive sitatunga antelope, which are at their greatest density in the Xigera area.
As well as year-round mokoro excursions and game drives, Xigera’s expert rangers lead bush walks.
Children are welcome from the age of eight. For children between 8-12 years, game drives must be private and there may be an extra charge for this. For advice on family-friendly safari options, speak with our consultants.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours