Recently renovated from top-to-bottom, Vumbura Plains is situated on the north eastern edge of the Okavango Delta, and is the perfect safari camp for those who delight in a sophisticated blend of contemporary Swedish design and traditional African materials.
Designed by world-renowned architect and interior designer, Silvio Rech and Lesley Carstens, Vumbura has won one of the coveted Elle Décor Interior Design Awards for 2006. Not only does Vumbura Plains provide the ultimate in luxurious safari comfort, it also has access to a wonderful variety of habitat and wildlife.
Vumbura consists of two separate luxury camps, each seven-tented, with its own dining, lounge, bar area and staff. The two camps operate completely independently and you’ll be unaware of guests at the adjacent camp.
Bedrooms are large and airy, raised off the ground on wooden decks, each with plunge pool, outdoor shower and private sala (outdoor lounge area) with fabulous views over the floodplains. The interior styling and extras are lavish: suede shag-pile rugs, natural stone shower, sumptuous towels and dressing gowns, quality toiletries and hairdryer. The bar and expansive lounge areas, one outside and one covered, are extremely comfortable with striking views over the floodplains. Nice touches include a telescope - perfect for star-gazing in the clear African night skies - and a cappuccino machine.
Evening meals are often served in the boma (meeting place), by a camp fire, and may be accompanied by traditional singing. Astonishingly, given the remoteness of the camp, ambitious dishes like Beef Wellington are often on the menu.
Plains game, their predators and birdlife are all here in abundance. Lion, wild dog, elephant, cheetah and buffalo coexist with giraffe, zebra, warthog, the water-loving red lechwe and the sable of the dry savannah. Leopard is often seen on night drives, as are jackal and spotted hyena. On a recent night drive, I spotted hyena pups playing outside their den, as well as a young leopard stalking an impala herd.
Birdlife is varied, including Malachite and Pied kingfishers, Jacanas, Turtledoves, eagles (African fish and tawney), Open-billed and Saddle-billed storks and Spoonbills; this an excellent location for those who enjoy birding.
Both land and water activities are on offer at Vumbura Plains, including walking, mokoro and boat trips, as well as night drives. The varied countryside means that you can expect to see an impressive range of mammals and birds.
Children are welcome from the age of eight and this lodge has a family unit. Game drives including children between 8-12 years must be private and there may be an extra charge for this service, although this is waived when booking the family unit. For further advice on family-friendly safari options, speak with our consultants.
Tours staying at this accommodation
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours