Shinde Camp is a traditional tented-style safari camp, located on a spectacularly beautiful, palm-dotted island in the north of the Okavango Delta.
Shinde’s atmosphere is relaxed, with the emphasis on comfort, service and personal attention. Dining high up in the tree-top dining room, under the shade of ebony and mangosteen, is a very special experience. Game and wildlife are all around you - the Shinde Lagoon teems with animals, reptiles and birds.
The eight, large twin-bedded tents, all have mesh windows, a shaded deck and lovely views over the waterways or open grassland. The honeymoon tent, raised on stilts and with queen-sized bed, is more secluded. There are also a number of quiet spaces in the main lounge for those who want to read or relax in peace.
A small swimming pool is the ideal way to cool down on a hot afternoon, and in the cooler winter months, you’ll find a welcome hot water bottle in your bed.
Within Shinde Camp, an enclosed section, the Shinde Enclave, accommodates a maximum of six people in three raised tents. With a private boma, bar, dining area and a lounge overlooking the lagoon, this is an ideal choice if you are a group or family. Your own senior guide will escort you on private game activities.
The lush island setting attracts many different species of antelope, including the shy sitatunga, whose elongated and splayed hooves enable it to walk across the unstable, reed beds. Sitatunga are good swimmers and take to the water to escape predators such as leopard or wild dog. Shinde and its sister camp Kanana are two of the best places in the delta for spotting this elusive creature. Lion, hyena, elephant, giraffe and hippo, as well as leopard and wild dog, are found in the area Birding in the Okavango Delta is phenomenal, and at Shinde, boating excursions can take you within sight of seasonal breeding colonies of herons, egrets, pelicans and storks.
Water and land activities are available throughout the season. Safari trips through the scenic channels of the Okavango Delta by mokoro and motorboat are a must, as are the day and night drives in 4WD vehicles. There are also guided walks. For the fly-fishing enthusiast, Shinde offers fishing for tilapia and tiger fish (mainly catch and release), and all necessary tackle is provided.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- See the pristine waterways of the Okavango Delta
- Watch the wildlife from your mokoro
- Relax on the beautiful beaches of Mozambique
- Spacious exclusive accommodation
Children & Young Explorers
Children 10 years and upwards are welcome at the camp. Shinde also offers an exclusive family safari with specialist children’s guide, called Young Explorers (minimum age 7 years, although exceptions may be made).
The Young Explorers programme aims to ensure the entire family gets the most from their safari experience. As well as exciting game-drives and walks, you’ll learn bush survival skills, how to recognise animal tracks, try your hand at cooking in the bush kitchen, change a tyre on a 4WD truck, learn how to safely handle a ranger’s rifle and develop angling skills – how to catch, handle and release a fish correctly. The family has the use of the private six-bedded camp, two dedicated guides, personal chef, waiter, housekeeper and mokoro guides. For further information on this programme and other family-friendly safari options, speak with our consultants.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours