Sanctuary Chief's Camp is a Condé Nast award-winner in the Okavango Delta, the flagship accomodation from Sanctuary's property collection.
In 2016 it reopened after a massive refubishment which saw the camp rebuilt to create a new, luxurious contemporary safari camp.
The camp is located on Chief’s Island in the Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango Delta, on the Mombo Concession, often described as the ‘predator capital’ of the world. The emphasis here is naturall on game drives; the large concentration of elephant, hippo, buffalo, lion, wild dog, leopard, cheetah and plains game mean that you’ll experience exceptional game viewing.
Ten brand new, stylish and luxurious bush pavilions have been built, along side a swish new Geoffrey Kent Luxury Suite, designed to redefine the luxury safari experience. Pavillions are now tripple the size of the camp's origianl rooms and each boast incredible views over the Okavango Delta, which are best enjoyed from each pavilion's private pool or outdoor seating area. Bathrooms feature large bathtubs, outdoor showers and come compelte with floor-to-ceiling windows and folding glass doors so you never have to miss the view.
'Safari Chic' decor adorns the main and public areas, which now include a library, a game drive orientation room, a fitness centre, a children's retreat, a new bar and a deck with a pizza oven that extends from the dining room. The camp is powered by their custom built solar farm - one of the largest in Botswana - in an effort to minimise the impact of the camp on the local enviromnent, including battery banks that allow the use of solar energy and electricity at all times.
Since the successful re-introduction of both white and black rhino into the area, this is the only place in Botswana where you can see these wonderful animals in their natural environment.
Activities at Sanctuary Chiefs Camp are predominately ranger-led game drives, in open 4WD vehicles. With few roads leading into the camp, and the remote location, it’s likely you’ll be the only people for miles around. When water levels are high, usually June to October, there are also opportunities to explore and game-view by mokoro.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours