Abu Camp & Villa Okavango ,situated on the eastern edge of the Okavango Delta, provides the original elephant riding safari experience.
Here you are able to interact with a herd of ‘saved’ elephants, rescued from zoos around the world. Riding with the imduna (elephant carer) allows you an even closer engagement with other animals, and walking with them in the bush offers insights into their interactions with each other.
An acclimatisation programme enables some of the elephants to return to the wild. The six luxury tents, set deep in an ancient riverine forest, are custom built, stylishly furnished, all with striking bathrooms. Each tent has its own private, tree-shaded deck overlooking a lagoon that teems with bird and animal life.
The expansive dining and lounge decks are well shaded by African ebony and sycamore fig trees, which create a charming and cooling dappled effect. The camp is renowned for its five-star meals prepared by the camp’s expert chef, which are served with a selection of fine wines. This really is a luxury, top-of-the-range camp.
Besides the eight resident elephants, you will see herds of giraffe, zebra and antelope, and experience excellent birding – over 500 species have been reported in this area of the Okavango Delta.
As well as elephant riding safaris, there are night and day game drives, walks and mokoro trips, when the flood waters arrive in June.
Children are welcome from the age of eight. For children between 8-12 years, game drives must be private and there may be an extra charge for this. For advice on family-friendly safari options, speak with our consultants. Villa Okavango is the only private home for rent in the Delta. It comes with its own staff, swimming pool and terrace areas overlooking the lagoon. The villa sleeps four in total luxury, with two large en suite rooms. There are no set departure dates and children of all ages are welcome. The elephant safari experience is not, however, available to guests at the villa.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours