Jack's Camp allows you to inhabit the awe-inspiring lunar landscape of the Makgadikgadi salt pans, a remnant of an ancient ‘super lake’ that covered thousands of square miles in much of Southern Africa.
Within this vast and isolated expanse, Jack’s Camp is a welcome oasis. The camp has lovely 1940’s safari-style tents, set in a palm grove, with canvas washbasins, copper water jugs, Persian rugs and paraffin lamps.
All ten rooms are very private, spacious and luxurious, with elegant dark-burnished wooden floors and antiques furnishings. Each has adjacent private facilities with bucket showers and flush toilets
A safari here is the complete desert experience, with focus on drought-adapted wildlife as well as the geology, archaeology and anthropology of the Kalahari and Madgadikgadi.
Meerkats, aardwolf and the elusive brown hyena can be seen all year round. When there is water, usually from November until April, you can see thousands of migrating creatures, including large flocks of flamingos from East Africa.
Activities include walking safaris with San (Bushmen) trackers, an encounter with a meerkat family and a rare opportunity to see one of Africa’s most elusive carnivores, the brown hyena. In the dry season, you can explore the Makgadikgadi pans on light-weight quad bikes which avoid damaging the delicate surface crust.
Children are welcome from the age of eight. For children between 8-12 years, game drives must be private and there may be an extra charge for this. For advice on family-friendly safari options, speak with our consultants.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours