Deception Valley Lodge in Botswana’s Kalahari Desert, gives you a unique opportunity to learn first hand about San history and culture.
Though there are few Kalahari Bushmen who still live exclusively by hunter-gathering, the knowledge of these age-old skills has not been lost. San Bushmen from the lodge staff take you on a three-hour trail and demonstrate the skills – how to find a water-storing plants, which trees to use for making tools and twine, fire-making, and the rudiments of trapping and hunting game - that have enabled them to survive in one of the least hospitable environments in Africa. This is one of the most enriching experiences you can have in southern Africa and we highly recommend it. This luxury lodge has eight comfortable double bedrooms connected to the main lodge via walkways raised above the sand. All bedrooms have a lounge area, Victorian style bathroom, an outside shower and ceiling fans. Private decks overlook the immense Kalahari horizons.
The camp also offers game drives in 4WD vehicles where you can track the rare Kalahari lion, cheetah, leopard, giraffe, blue wildebeest, kudo and gemsbok, and if you’re lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the elusive, brown hyena.
There is fabulous birding in the area, especially in the Nata River Delta after good rains, usually from December to April. You will see flamingos, herons, blacksmith plover, re-knobbed coot, cormorants and egret, as well as vulture and rare species indigenous to the area.
An inter-connecting tent is available for families. Our consultants can advise you on the best family-friendly safari options.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours