**** NOTE (Feb 2023 update): this lodge is in the process of being completely refurbished and upgraded so is currently not taking bookings ****
In Marofandilia forest, about 44km north of Morondava, this camp, managed by proactive NGO Fanamby (the Malagasy 'arm' of Conservation International) and part of the Akiba Lodges group, provides good accommodation for visitors to Menabe Antimena Protected Area.
The 14 en suite tented rooms are built on platforms and protected with a thatched roof. Facilities are private. (See photographs). Mosquito nets are provided. The beds are not raised - they are on the ground.
Hearty meals are served in the restaurant, above which is a communal sitting area. There is WiFi in the restaurant. Electricity is provided 24/7; solar panels are utilised.
Night walks in the area are rewarding. It is about 30 minutes drive from Kirindy Forest and also, close Allee des Baobabs. We revisited the site in October 2019 and also highly recommend a morning walk here. The wildlife is right on your doorstep - it is all around the camp throughout the day with most species being used to human presence, so allowing for great photo opportunities.
Camp Amoureux is one of two establishments in Madagascar to have been certified by Fair Trade Tourism in February 2016. They are part Akiba Lodges and of the ‘Friendly Camp’ brand offered by Sahanala, a venture of which FANAMBY is a member. FANAMBY currently manages five protected areas across Madagascar and develops camps in such a way to encourage local communities to be directly involved in management of responsible tourism.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours