- Take a walk on the long Belle Mare beach – its one of the best
- Visit the market capital Port Louis
- Take time to really enjoy a local Creole meal
- Go on a catamaran cruise with lunch provided
- Visit the Valriche Nature Reserve
- Hire a car for the day and explore the island
You can explore the island by hiring a car for self-drive or with a chauffeur for a reasonable supplement, or by taking one of the excursions available. Pamplemousses Gardens, with its giant Victoria regia water lilies, is one of the world’s oldest botanical gardens.
Fine French colonial buildings and the lively covered market can be seen in the capital, Port Louis, and its modern piazza-style Caudan Waterfront with its shops and cafés around the port. Enjoy panoramic views of the island from Trou aux Cerfs, an extinct crater 85m deep and 200m wide. Grand Bassin Lake, another extinct volcano crater, is a revered pilgrimage site for Hindus.
Or you may prefer to discover the forest and unique birdlife on walking trails, try a mountain bike tour in one of the lush green national parks or nature reserves or take a catamaran cruise with snorkelling opportunities.