Wild and remote, Samburu, Buffalo Springs and Shaba Reserves protect arid thornbush savannah, scrubland and scattered acacia. The rare wildlife adapted to this harsh environment includes Reticulated giraffe, Grevy’s zebra, generuk, Somali ostrich and Beisa oryx. The birdlife is marvellous, with over 380 recorded species. Running through Samburu and bordered by a permanent ribbon of green, the Ewaso Nyiro River is the lifeblood of the ecosystem, drawing large herds of elephant and lion to the banks.
Recommended things to do on a Samburu & Shaba safari:
- Learn about Samburu culture
- Star-gaze on a clear night
- Spot nocturnal animals on a night drive
- Visit the Joy Adamson museum
- Tick off some of the 350 recorded birds